Avengers: Infinity War Review
Read below for the quick overview with no spoilers!
Did I like it?: I have so many feels. Did I like it? I’m still holding my breath!
Themes: Kick-butt action, aliens, take-over-the-universe villain, mass genocide, plucky puns, shiny and powerful stones, allegiances, cross-over’s, big explosions, space, end-of-the-world plot, did I mention ACTION?
Short Summary (No spoilers): The heroes of the universe unite to fight the ultimate villain Thanos.
Favorite thing about it?: Teenage Groot made me giggly.
Below is my review, spoilers may pop up here, so don't read it if you haven't watched it >.<
OMG! Have you seen this movie? I can tell you with 100% certainty if you have not seen it then do NOT read this. There will be straight up spoilers below here.
I don’t want to address the ending until the bottom of the review, so here I will use my comic knowledge (and internet prowess) to explain some of the things in the movies, and then I will talk plot below.
• So one of the big things I feel like people don’t know about marvel lore is Nidavellir. They kind of explain it’s a forge but they don’t really go into it. Nidavellir is the home of the Norse Dwarves and is one of the nine realms from Thor that has not really been addressed till now. Dwarves are the race that have crafted the most powerful weapons in the Nine Realms including: Mjolnir, Gungnir (which we haven’t seen in the movies), and Stormbreaker.
• Why was the Hulk not popping out and destroying stuffs? Well, my best assumption is that he is afraid. Until this point he has been undefeated. Now, with Thanos being all-powerful, he is afraid. That will probably play a role in something later, but for now no big green man.
• What video game was Groot playing? The video game in question is called Defender, a 1981 release that was one of the most acclaimed video games of the early 1980s. It is one of the most difficult early arcade video games and was a big success. The point of the game is to shoot down aliens to defend the human race. Sound familiar?
• Is it just me, or is Thanos not totally insane? Like, I get his logic in the movie. I don’t agree with it, but I didn’t HATE him. He was a villain for sure, but I didn’t walk out of the theater thinking I he was an awful person. I walked out of the theater considering his choices. Gamora’s lines: “Is it done?” “What did it cost?” Really made me think of Thanos as a person. I mean, I’m 100% sure he’s going to die (eventually) but for now, I oddly don’t HATE him.
• Why bubbles? Remember when Starlord was about to shoot Gamora and all that happened was bubbles? This wasn’t just Thanos being mean. Actually, it’s a reference to 2000 video game, Marvel vs. Capcom 2: New Age of Heroes. When Thanos attacks in the game bubbles shoot out of him. Weird, right?
• Did you hear when Black Panther referred to Bucky as White Wolf? In the comics the White Wolf is a totally different person and he is the head of the secret police in Wakanda. Now, Bucky takes on the name… interesting.
• And finally, that end credit scene. What was Fury trying to do with that pager? Well, did you know that Marvel has lined up a “Captain Marvel” movie slated to come out next year? Yeppers. Whose Captain Marvel? Captain Marvel's current powers include flight, enhanced strength, durability, and the ability to shoot energy bursts from her hands. She is also a highly skilled pilot and trained extensively in hand-to-hand combatant, which checks out since she's a member of the Air Force. In the comics she gains her powers from the previous Captain Marvel when an alien gadget explodes. I don't think they are going to do that in the movies though. What does she have to do with Thanos and saving the world? Since the Marvel movie universe is different from the comics I’m not sure what they want from her. I have a few guesses, but I will keep them to myself for now.
FINALLY… Now I’m going to talk about the movie.
Do you have feels? I have feels. For me, the worst part the in the movie was when Spiderman fell into Tony Stark’s arm’s and cried “I don’t want to go.” Bless his heart. Poor Spidey.
So this movie did NOT start out like the traditional Marvel movie. Right off the bat we have death and destruction. A main character dies within the first 5 minutes! Sheesh, talk about dramatic.
The tone of the movie is super serious, which I liked, but I also kind of missed the humor of Ragnarok. There were a few times I laughed, but most of the tom-foolery was overshadowed by the dread of what was to come.
I think the movie did a fairly good job of moving from scene to scene. There were a few characters that I thought were underutilized, but in a movie with so many main characters I’m not surprised.
Probably my biggest irritation in this movie is Gamora. Like, gurl, you knew you were going to get caught. Why did you even? She was one of my favorite characters before this movie. Now, I feel like her blind faith in always winning is kind of annoying. Am I the only one?
On the flip side of that, my favorite thing about the movie was Groot. I know, Guardian of the Galaxy love up in here. Lol. But seriously, he played his video game the WHOLE time until he was needed. And then at the end when Thor, Groot, and Rocket appeared in the battle and they all charged into the fray. It made me so incredibly happy inside.
But really, I can’t critique the movie without talking about the ending, so here we go.
And with a snap of his finger Thanos obliterates half of all life in the universe. Who died? Well let’s name them: Loki, Heimdall, Gamora, Vision, Black Panther, Spiderman, Doctor Strange, The Winter Soldier/Bucky, Scarlett Witch, Starlord, Groot, Drax, Mantis, Nick Fury and Maria Hill.
Did you favorite die? Mine did. Spiderman and Bucky’s death's hit me in the heart. So what does this mean? How can we go on from here?
I am rationalizing the horrible loss by telling myself that Marvel has already announced movie sequels to some of the characters who died. So I KNOW they can’t actually be dead, but who knows? We have to wait a whole YEAR for Avengers 4 which seems like complete torture. It’s just as bad as Game of Thrones.